Just 22 mailing days left for Operation Cookie Overload! Ginger from Ohio — along with her adorable three-year-old daughter/helper, below — mailed off a big box of homemade cookies today to our Marines in Afghanistan. Yay! When Judy, the mom of our 19-year-old Marine, heard that we have 79 generous people like Ginger in 21 states signed up to send her son and his unit holiday treats, she was thrilled. Here’s what she had to say:
WOW! I am so pleased to hear this, it will really give these Marines a boost! Knowing they are thought of and appreciated by so many kind, thoughtful people all over the country! … You all honestly have no idea how much this mom appreciates all of you! … May you be richly blessed for your thoughtfulness, you all are truly appreciated by all of the moms associated and the wives and family members; sending hugs and many good wishes your way.
Judy had one update on food requests. She says because her son and his fellow Marines are out on the front lines, they are eating a lot of MREs (meals ready to eat), which don’t have a reputation for being very tasty. So they love any foods that give their taste buds something different. Any other nonperishable food items you want to send with your cookies is welcome, including canned or dried fruit, beef jerky, hot chocolate mix, and portable instant coffee packages.
And we have a few housekeeping items:
- If you would like to participate in Operation Cookie Overload, send an email with your name and complete mailing address to email@example.com or use this secure form. Remember: We don’t post any addresses online due to privacy and security issues.
- We do have an Army soldier in Afghanistan who has requested cookie packages to take to some of the remote FOBs (forward operating base). Some of the larger groups who are participating in Operation Cookie Overload have been kind enough to take both our Marine’s name and our Army soldier’s name.
- Here are all the details about Operation Cookie Overload: “Operation Cookie Overload: Will you help a Marine mom make her deployed son’s Christmas merry and bright?”
- These are suggestions for what to put inside: “Operation Cookie Overload Update: Our best tips and tricks for baking and sending cookie-filled care packages.”
- And these are the details on the customs form you’ll need to attach: “It’s Your Duty: Filling out customs forms for military care packages.”